Skip to content

Febuary 2020 Update

This month I have been tying off the loose ends as I am getting closer to starting the engine

The original throttle cable from the 2S is too short and does not reach the linkage for the ITB’s. I had a look at some old Toyotas at the wrecking yard and found one that would fit from a 1989 SV21 Camry. The only modification required was to swap the bracket from the old cable as the throttle stop was in the wrong position.

I had to make some changes to the engine harness for the idle control valve. I had originally planned to use a two wire bimetallic type valve, but I will be using a Screw-in style idle control valve. This valve uses a stepper motor which allows for greater control over the idle speed. This valve requires four ECU outputs to be driven, so I had to reallocate stepper outputs STEP1-4 and change the harness. STEP1-4 have been connected to a plug on the drivers side of the harness, near where the idle control valve will be mounted.

The original negative battery cable and earth links were not sufficient enough for the new starter motor to crank so I made a new negative battery cable, and earth links for the head, block and transmission.

The new idle control valve and o2 wideband controller. As I will be doing a basic tune on the engine myself to get it running, a wideband controller is worth the $399 asking price because it can give accurate instantaneous feedback on the air fuel ratio while tuning.

I plugged in to the haltech to check if the harness had been put together correctly. (I disconnected the injectors and coils as a precaution) all of the connected sensors are getting good readings and the new relays are working.

I repaired the damage to the fuel tank and fitted the modified hanger for the new pump. I am using 12ga TXL wire for the fuel pump specified by AEM. the new bulkhead fitting for the hanger sits a lot higher than the original and is touching the body of the car when the tank retaining straps are fixed. the fitting will either need to be replaced by one that is more compact, or moved closer to the front of the tank for better clearance.

The fuel lines in the engine bay have been joined up and sealed. Set up the fuel pressure regulator and tested the fuel pump. the pump is working and there are leaks so the fuel system is ready to go. There are still a few things needed before the engine can be started, the main tasks being a new exhaust system and modifying the prop shaft for the new transmission.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: